Straight Teeth for Healthier Smiles
There is more to having a straight, even smile than just aesthetics. When teeth are aligned properly, there are usually fewer nooks and crannies for plaque to build up, and brushing and flossing effectively can be easier. The often means a smile that is healthier.
With today’s orthodontics, some options can fit into your lifestyle—regardless of your age. At our Seaforth, Northern Beaches Sydney dental clinic, we offer traditional orthodontics, fast six months braces and Invisalign clear braces.
Invisalign Clear Braces
Invisalign uses a series of clear, virtually invisible plastic aligners—even to someone sitting across from you. Instead of brackets and wires to move teeth into the desired position, a series of customised aligners are used to gently nudge the teeth into place. Dr Lincoln Huang will provide you with several sets of aligners that you will swap out on a predetermined schedule. Over time—usually from 12 to 18 months—you will be able to watch your smile become straighter as you follow Dr Huang’s instructions.
The removable plastic aligners are customised for your smile goals and made with 3-D imaging technology. Invisalign treatment requires compliance in order for treatment to be successful, and your dentist will usually recommend you wear the aligners for at least 22 hours each day.
Benefits of Invisalign
In addition to its discreet look, Invisalign offers our Seaforth, Sydney dental patients other benefits:
- Because you remove the aligners for eating and cleaning your teeth, there are no food restrictions with Invisalign. Brushing and flossing will be no different than before you started treatment.
- Invisalign’s smooth plastic aligners are comfortable, and there is no metal to cause abrasions on the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Without wires, there are no adjustments so that you can enjoy the convenience of fewer trips to the dental clinic.
- You can watch your teeth as they become straighter.
For some patients, traditional orthodontics will provide the best outcomes, particularly when the alignment of the teeth and the way you bite your teeth together need to be corrected. When we do not correct a bite that is misaligned, this can lead to long-term dental problems as well as jaw and head pain.
Most of us are familiar with this type of braces, which are the traditional metal-wire-and-bracket orthodontics worn by kids and adults alike. With this type of appliance, the brackets are cemented into place on the teeth to hold a thin metal wire in place. Every couple of weeks, patients must visit their dentist for adjustments as the wires gently move teeth into the desired position.
Other Types of Orthodontics
Our Seaforth, Northern Beaches Sydney dental surgery offers a variety of orthodontic treatments, depending on the age and needs of the patient:
- Early interceptive treatment
- Fixed and removable plates
- Metal braces and ceramic braces
- Lingual (invisible) braces
- The DAMON system (self-ligating, non-extraction braces)
Find out more about orthodontics for children, teens and adults at C4th Dental Centre. Dr Huang will be happy to go over your options for a straight, healthy, comfortable smile.